With proper care and maintenance, tile roofs can last fifty years or more. Having a regular roof cleaning routine will keep your tile roof in Tampa clean. It will also allow you to find and repair any damage before it’s too late. On this page, you’ll find the most important things you should know for cleaning your tile roof in Tampa.
A Step-by-step Guide on How to Clean a Tile Roof in Tampa
Tile roofing is an excellent choice for Tampa homeowners. Tile roofing offers a unique set of pros and cons, making it ideal for the Florida climate. If you want to get the best out of your tile roof, you have to maintain it regularly, and cleaning is the star of the show.
Cleaning a tile roof can be very easy and straightforward. But you’ll need the right tools and knowledge to do it. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to clean your tile roof in Tampa:
1. Power Wash — Use your power washer to spray off any visible dirt and debris from your roof. Make sure to work from the ridge going down to the gutter. After you’ve done power washing your roof, let it dry completely.
2. Spray Chemical Solution — Spray an appropriate chemical solution over entire roof. Leave it for several minutes to work itself into the tiles’ pores.
3. Rinse Thoroughly — Rinsing off your tile roof is the most trying and the most critical step of the process. Again, work your way from top to bottom, making sure you remove any dirt, moss, or algae.
4. Clean your Gutters — After you’ve finished cleaning your roof, pay attention to the gutters as well. Remove any dirt, leaves, and twigs to ensure your gutters are clean and in good condition.
5. Inspect and Repair If Necessary — While you’re up on the roof, you have an opportunity to inspect it to see if there are any signs the roof is deteriorating. Replace any shingles that are damaged, broken, or cracked. Consider resealing your tile roof to provide even better protection from the elements.
Tools You Need to Clean your Tile Roof
If you don’t often do repairs around the house, you most likely won’t have all of the essential tools to clean your tile roof. That said, if you’re determined to DIY the job, here are a few necessary tools you’ll need to complete the task:
- Pressure Washer — This is probably the most crucial tool you’ll need if you want to properly and thoroughly clean your tile roof. We recommend using a pressure washer with 1.200 to 1.500 psi for efficient washing without damaging the surface.
- Chemicals — Using chemicals on your roof will help remove any algae or moss and make the cleaning process easier. If you don’t know which chemical solution to pick, consider using sodium hydroxide based cleaning products. They’re safe, effective, and environmentally-friendly.
- Spare Cloth or Rags — After cleaning your tile roof, you’ll need dry cloth rags to remove efflorescence from the roof tiles.
- Replacement Tiles — Cleaning your roof is also a good opportunity to do a check-up and repair any minor tile damages you find. You might accidentally break a few tiles when you’re on the roof. So it’s always a good idea to have a few spare pieces by your side.
- Ladder — Use a sturdy ladder, preferably one with a safety ladder stop or safety foot.
- Plywood — Tiles can easily crack under weight pressure. Consider using a plywood board to distribute your weight when standing or kneeling on the tiles.
Important Safety Tips to Keep in Mind
Going up on the roof is a dangerous thing on its own. Add working with tools and hazardous chemicals, and you can put yourself in life-threatening situations if you’re not careful.
Before climbing on your roof, you should be aware of all of the rooftop safety hazards so that you can safely clean your roof and avoid any accidents. To help you with this, we want to share some of the most crucial safety tips you should remember when cleaning your tile roof:
- Dress Appropriately — The sun can be unforgiving in Florida, so make sure you dress for both maximum comfort and sun protection. Avoid clothing that will limit your flexibility and movement, and use shoes with good traction to secure a better balance on the roof.
- Stand on Flat and Dry Areas — Always be sure that you’re standing on the flattest part of the roof. Also, plan your cleaning routine, so you always have a dry spot to stand on to minimize slipping and falling risks.
- Carefully Tread the Tiles — As we mentioned above, using plywood is an effective way to distribute your weight and reduce the pressure you exert on the tiles. If you’re stepping on the tiles directly, make sure to step on the lower portion of the tile.
Reach Out to a Roofing Professional
If you don’t have any prior experience working on a roof or aren’t entirely sure if you can complete this job safely, you should contact a trusted local roofing contractor. A licensed and skilled professional will have the knowledge and tools to quickly and efficiently complete the job, saving you time and money in the process.
As the premier roofing company in Tampa, Florida, we’re always available to assist you in any roofing project you have. Call us today at 813-373-9088. Or fill out our online form to get a free service cost estimate.